Saturday, April 29, 2006

What's in a Name?

BARBARA GRACE

I am named after two important women in my family. "Barbara" was my paternal grandmother. She died before I was born and I only know her through photographs and stories. She was a teacher, a mother, an aunt and a friend in the stories I have heard. Barbara was kind, loving, strict and had PERFECT handwriting (I've seen it). She attended my alma mater when it was a Pennsylvania State Normal School (teacher's college). Her nickname (and sometimes mine) was Barb.

My middle name, Grace, belongs to my mother's great aunt. Aunt Grace has endured the loss of her husband and untimely death of her only son. Grace is a picture of courage and determination. One might call her stubborn.

I have always loved my name. My mother called my Barbara, and my father called me Barb. My best friend in kindergarten called (and still calls) me Barbie. In fact at some point in college, some friends called my both my first and middle names: "Barbara Grace". Growing up, I knew few (I can think of only two) "Barbaras". There are of course the famous, however, they were "Barbra", not "BarbAra". When I moved to Mississippi, I met several! They were all over the age of 60, however, they were fellow Barbaras.

So what's in a name? Well, I could quote some origins and "definitions" of my name. Shockingly, the "definitions" that I have found linked to my name are not too far from my reality: "Your name has given you an appreciation for many beautiful and refined aspects of life, music, and art, nature, drama and the outdoors where you find much peace and relaxation."

What's in my name? I would say tradition is in my name. And purpose. I was given this name for a reason. My parents were purposeful in naming me after close family. I am purposeful in claiming the name and the heritage of kindness, sensitivity and determination that comes with it. Barbara went to college when many young women did not: a symbol of ambition. Grace live through the Great Depression on a farm in rural Pennsylvania: a symbol of endurance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home