Saturday, April 29, 2006

Center for Urban Contemplation

This blog title is not original. My work supervisor in Jackson, Miss. had a dream for a "Center for Urban Contemplation" named in her honor that would serve as a place for education and growth related to urban and faith issues. I worked at a faith-based nonprofit organization and we faced urban issues of homelessness, poverty, drug abuse, prostitution, inadequate housing and violence on a daily basis. We also contemplated issues of faith in our context: hope, trust, truth, spirituality, security, love, and one could make the case that the urban issues are faith issues as well. I would make that argument.

As I was sitting in a meeting earlier this month and I remembered the Center for Urban Contemplation. I googled the name, and it's still original. I was thinking about the center for urban contemplation that I am living in and worshiping in. I contemplate a lot on my futon/couch, and I'm doing so as I write. At my church we've been contemplating the issue of homelessness in New York City and responses that our community of faith will have to an issue that affects so many of our brothers and sisters.

Where is your center for contemplation? I've had many...Aside from the couch and the church. I remember sitting quietly in quietly in various cathedrals in Italy and thinking about God, and the men and women who built such magnificent spaces. I have contemplated outdoors, which is probably my favorite place to think. A favorite spot from my past was our front yard, usually in a lawn chair.

Contemplation...Thinking, feeling, and being. In the midst of a busy schedule and fast-paced city I'm grateful for moments of contemplation, wherever and whenever I encounter them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home