Saturday, April 29, 2006

Do I Do Myself Justice?

I remember hearing the phrase "this doesn't give it justice" used to describe an inadequate or somehow lacking description of a favorite restaurant or vacation spot. "The advertisement doesn't do the bistro justice." "These photographs of Bermuda don't give it justice."

I try to "give justice" to what I write. Whether it's sharing a memory or telling a story about a moving experience. I think I do a decent job of "giving justice" when I write.

I consider myself a socially conscience person. I consider myself someone who does a lot of justice. I officially work with a program that states as one of its principles "faith in action." I give my faith justice by what I do for a living, and also how I live the rest of my life. I choose to do justice.

This afternoon I'm wrestling with the question: "Do I do myself justice?" This relates to self-care, to nurturing my spirit, and caring for my soul. Following a recent break-up I have been wrestling with the balance of myself and himself. I struggled with it when we were together. Now in the recovery and reclaiming of myself I'm asking: "Do I do myself justice?"

I can honestly say that I have been more challenged with "doing myself justice" than with doing justice for others. I hesitate less to volunteer in an after school tutoring program than I hesitate to take the time to reflect and recover after a difficult week. I give emotional care and don't insure that I receive it myself. I am coming to terms with some of these personal injustices as I become increasingly tired in relationships and emotional moments.

Through self-care, through patience and nurturing I can do myself justice, rise above my usual ways, and probably do a better job of living life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home