Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It's Getting Hot in Here

I love August.

First, it's my birthday month. Start shopping now. My birthday is August 29.

Second, it's summer-time, which means it's HOT. I love the heat. The past two days have become a bit "oppressive" in the city, but all in all the summer heat is one of the things I've come to love about August.

I walk outside and it feels like I have a blanket wrapped around me. On humid days it's a moist blanket. The sun warms (and tans) my face. I'm reminded of recently living in Mississippi, which was VERY hot for a good portion of the year. I remember summers at home when I was growing up in the country. We didn't have air-conditioning and cooled ourselves by laying on the cool grass or sitting in the breeze of a tree. There was also a pond on our farm, and we would float around in inner-tubes in the water.

I've recently come to love the beach. The waves. The sand. The sun. What's not to love. The beach is a real vacation for me only if it's a few hours. I don't take my laptop to the beach, only my lap. I love to simply sit and read or listen to music and nap.

Sometimes people talk about the heat and say they are "cooking" or "baking" in the summer-sun. I like the cooking analogy. During the summer I think something is usually cooking or baking inside of me. There is a time of preparation from a well-crafted recipe. Then the ideas, the feelings, and the anticipations can cook for a while until they are ready to be served to myself or maybe to the rest of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home