Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Important Thing

"The important thing is this--to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become." Charles DuBois

This is one of my favorite quotes. I have had it written in my daily planner for three years. It's been my mantra for this week as I continue my post-Easter venture to rise above usual ways and let go of habits (in the form of actions and relationships) that have recently been a part of my life.

Needless to say this hasn't been an easy week. I've been second-guessing. I've thought about changing my mind. To give up what we are, what is comfortable, what is known; for what we could become (something unknown.) I'm not sure about the alternatives. I don't know if I'm thinking of choosing between paths that are right or wrong, but I am choosing between paths that are different.

In the past I've juggled decisions about moving to a new city, taking a different job, choosing a new lifestyle. The uncertainty and emotional challenge of the situation is no easier this time.

What I know is that I have lived through these times with a lot of faith, a healthy dose of optimism, and a calm assurance in "the important thing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home